Want to become a Data Scientist? But you also don’t want to work in only one company? Would you like to explore yourself in different job roles of a Data Scientist?
If your answers are yes, then you are on the right way to be a freelance Data Scientist. Don’t know how to find a job in this field as a freelancer?
In this blog, we will answer you how to become a freelancer Data Scientist.
Freelancing is in every field, from journalism to technology. Although freelancing in the technical field is at an early stage, soon it will boom in the market. To begin with, what is freelancing and how is it relevant to a Data Scientists job? In simple terms, a freelancer is a person who can contribute to a company without being a part of it. A Freelance Data Scientist is a Data Scientist who works as an independent employee in different companies on a particular project.
Did You Know: The term ‘Data Science’ is often interchangeable with Datalogy.
How to make your portfolio noticeable?
The best way to make your portfolio noticeable is by creating your online profile on Upwork & Toptal. Let us see how to make a creative profile on these platforms:
It is an online professional business platform, where you can make your profile to connect and collaborate with business employers. It is the world’s largest freelance marketplace which has recently collaborated with popular freelance platform Elance-oDesk. So by making the online profile, you can list yourself among the freelance Data scientists and this will make your profile noticeable to the employees.
How does it work?
- Register yourself on Up work. Click here.
- Create an outstanding profile by including your professional skills, experience, education, projects, etc.
- Upload your friendly looking profile picture.
After profile! The time comes to get hired by the clients. Start out by sending compelling application to the clients. If your profile is highly impressive, then chances you have more chances to be called for an interview. So, make sure your profile is-
- Professionally well-written
- Appropriate for the work you’re seeking
- Presents your skills and strength
It is an online platform where companies, in need of freelance talent, hire software engineers and designers. To get hired by companies you have to go through a series of process that includes screening and interviews. However, only 3% of applicants are included in the Toptal directory and if you are in the directory, you will get a world-class opening as a freelancer.
How does it work?
- Register yourself on Toptal. Click here
- Prepare your profile including all your relevant skills, experience, education, project, etc., and submit your application.
- Update your profile picture.
- For the acceptance of your application at Toptal you need to go through a live screening for language skills, technical skills, and an interview by the Toptal engineers.
- Some test projects will be assigned to you. They get over in one to three weeks.
Note: – The completion of application process takes approximately 1month.
What else can you do to make your portfoilo noticeable to the employers?
A few projects on Github or your blogs
Putting a few projects on Github will increase the application approval chances. It will make it easier for the hiring managers to find these projects and to evaluate your skills. Now, let’s see, what kinds of projects can be helpful to be a freelance Data Scientist.
- Data cleaning project– It is the huge part of any Data Scientist’s job, where in the project you take messy data and clean it up, showing the analysis. This project displays your skills of taking disparate datasets and make sense out of it. Doing projects like this demonstrates the skills of taking data from many sources and combining into a single dataset.
- Data Storytelling Project– This project can be an important piece for your portfolio and can seek the attention of the hiring managers. It has a significant impact on business value due to the ability to extract insights from data and persuade others. Moreover, it demonstrates the skills of taking a set of data and telling an exact narrative of it.
- An end-to-end project– Broadly speaking, it is a fusion of Data cleaning and storytelling. Furthermore, to build an end-to-end project the main components are:-
- To understand the context
- To explore the data and figure out the nuances
- Write a high-performance code so that runs quickly and uses minimal resources
- Document the installation of the code well so that it can use by others.
- A Data Science competition projects – Already got your hands dirty on a few Data Science Competition projects? Then you need to upload the projects to get your application accepted by the freelance hiring platforms like Upwork and Toptal.
Some of the Data Science competition platforms are–
- Kaggle– It is a leading platform for Data Science competitors to utilize their skills and potential to crack some datasets. Here, the companies and the researchers post their datasets for the statisticians to mine the data to compete with others and produce the best models. Taking part in such data mining competitions has been proved helpful for you to get your application noticed among the crowd.
- DrivenData– It is the world’s biggest social challenge platform where they bring edge-cutting practices in data science and crowdsourcing. They host online competition which lasts for 2-3 months. Here, a global community of data scientist comes to compete with each other by giving the best statistical models for difficult datasets that make a difference.
How having networks will help to be a freelance Data Scientist?
It is said, the best way to grow your network is internet. There are some communities’ where a newbie Data Scientist comes to take help on solving some tough problems. Therefore, answering these problems and the continuous practice will grow your network in these communities. Once you start answering and your peers find you helpful in solving their queries they will reach out to you with offers to collaborate with them on a freelance work.
Some of the communities to grow your network:-
- GITTER– It is a chatting and networking platform which helps to manage, connect, and grow communities’ network of developers. It creates a single private chat room for messaging, content, and discovery. Most of the conversations are technical, focusing on debugging and sharing code bases.
- Data Science Central– It’s an online resource for Big Data practitioners. It provides a community experience in Analytics, Data Integration, and Visualization. Here, the forum is dedicated towards helpful resources, tutorials, webinars, tools, latest technology, and jobs opportunities.
- Data Science Stack Exchange– It is a site where you exchange question & answer on Data Science, Machine Learning, R, Neural networks, and Python. The experts can be Data Scientists or Machine Learning Specialists. A Freelance Data Scientist can reap the benefits by becoming an expert.
- Meetup– It is an online social networking portal designed to facilitate offline group meetings by managing it in various localities around the world. It helps you to find a group of peers to engage in a data science network. The user enters the postal code, and the website helps them locate a place for a meetup. In this way, you can connect to the professionals or the individual groups themselves.
Since Freelancer has expanded the market over the past decades, the preference of independent contracts over employees has increased. It has also increased the level of competition for finding work. Once you become a freelancer, you need to be proactive and utilize your potential & resources in all possible ways.
Do you think there other ways of exploring the field of freelancing data science?