A student from the on-going Data Science batch, Saurabh Marghade, speaks candidly on how testers should get into Data Science, on managing work with learning, on his skepticism in taking an online course and on his journey with UpX Academy.
Saurabh is a Tech Lead at Infosys and has been managing a team of around 18 people offshore. With more than 10 years of experience in testing, he has performed all types of testing right from manual to functional. Data warehouse testing is his forte.
Belonging to a full-fledged testing background, what made you focused to learn Data Science?
So if you look at the trends in the Indian IT industry, you’ll see that more and more work is being offshored. You must have noticed earlier that in a team of 100, 60 would be on-site and 40 would be off-site, providing support from India. Today, this has drastically changed. Only 10% of the people are on-site and the remaining 90% are providing support off-site.
This (Data Science) is the latest technology. On making observations and speaking to a couple of seniors, I got to know that this is not yet being outsourced to India. But a few years down the line, I feel that offshoring to India will start here too. Once offshoring starts, the need for the development of scripts would increase. Knowing languages like Python and R will always help me to write test scripts. So I thought that once I learn this, I’ll definitely have an edge over others.
Why did you choose UpX Academy?
As I’ve mentioned earlier, I only have testing experience. I wanted to learn something new. Something out of the box. Something which is also trending. So, I just came across these technologies a couple of months back and started reading more about them. I went through a lot of online journals and believed that this is an extremely promising field to get into. I thought even if I do not get a chance to work in this field, at least learning this would be beneficial for my career growth and would keep me on top my game.
UpX was offering online training in these latest technologies. I got an opportunity to know about UpX from a friend in TechM. He encouraged me to take up this course. The courses being online and the classes being held over the weekends, I knew I could manage this with work. With renowned faculty on-board giving courses in Python & R and the good reviews about the courses made me choose UpX for learning Data Science.
How difficult was it to manage work alongside learning with UpX?
Honestly speaking, it is difficult to get into learning after working for 10 whole years. In the very beginning, it was on the higher side. But gradually I started getting used to all the terminologies as Peeyush explained them in a quite simple and interesting manner. Slowly I got comfortable with the technical concepts and got used to learning one topic per weekend.
Although it is very difficult for me to find time for practice on a daily basis, I do try to take out at least half an hour every day. It is very important for us to practice the concepts taught in class through your assignments, exercises and projects.
How has your overall experience been with UpX?
Don’t take me otherwise, but honestly learning online was not my cup of tea. I was very skeptical in the beginning. But seriously the way you guys have handled everything is great. Right from the very beginning-when I spoke to Manav who was very helpful in providing guidance-to the very end. I would say that the support team is phenomenal! All my queries were answered and they were available whenever I needed them. I felt virtually connected, even though I was not present physically in a classroom. I now definitely feel that I am not missing out on anything and the experience is no lesser than a physical classroom! Thank you!